Detox?! Is this about drug or alcohol detoxification? Nope!! We’re going to talk a little about the science of how your body gets rid of toxins and waste. Because basically when these build-up ~ you get sick! So let’s talk about some simple things to boost your body’s ability to detoxify and clear out waste.
It may seem as though every time you turn around you’ll hear of yet another detox diet, bath, plan or new approach towards detoxing but, really ~ your body does it all the time. You’re doing it now! In fact, if it weren’t detoxing constantly we’d all be in a heap of trouble. There are so many stressors that consistently assault your system at any one time including:
•Unhealthy Diet (okay, that one’s obvious)
•Stress (mental & emotional ~ even anger, jealousy, isolation, loneliness, and hostility all translate into toxins in your system)
•Environmental toxins and volatile organic compounds (VOC’s). A source can be from building materials (such as floor and wall coverings, particle board, adhesives, and paints). Exposure may often happen if you work or live in a “tight” building with poor ventilation or windows that don’t open, in a large urban or industrial area, or are exposed to molds and the toxins they carry.
•Medications – including acetaminophen (Tylenol), acid-blocking drugs (Tagamet, Zantac, Pepcid, Prilosec, Prevacid), hormone-modulating medications in pills, patches or creams (birth control pills, estrogen, progesterone, prostate medication), ibuprofen, naproxen, etc. as well as, artificial sweeteners (like aspartame, sucralose, neotame, acesulfame potassium, and saccharin).
•Heavy metals, mercury, lead, petrochemicals, residues, pesticides & fertilizers (approximately 1 in every 4 people store heavy metals)
•Yeast, bacteria or fungus, inside your gut, as well as hormonal & metabolic toxins that need to be eliminated
As your body’s natural detoxification system is overloaded, you begin getting symptoms. This may take years of accumulated stress and toxins. Even low-level toxins profoundly affect the proper functioning of your cells and biological systems. When symptoms do appear, they’re often so unclear and common that you may not immediately recognize them as a problem. Also, it’s important to note that some people are naturally better than others at getting rid of toxins. Actually, problems with poor detoxification are at the root of most illness. This includes ~ Autoimmune diseases, Cancer, Alzheimer’s disease, Food allergies, Dementia, Parkinson’s disease, Heart disease, Arthritis, Chronic fatigue syndrome, Fibromyalgia syndrome, Digestive diseases like Crohn’s disease, ulcers, colitis and inflammatory bowel disease, Menstrual problems like heavy bleeding, cramps, PMS, menopausal symptoms, mood changes & hot flashes.
Are you wondering what you can do? Limiting exposure is important but, equally important is learning to support your body to maximize elimination of toxins and waste ~ You can feel better! Your skin, liver, kidneys, intestines and even lungs help you detoxify. But for optimal functioning it is important to make sure all these parts of healthy detoxification are working well together. They depend on the right food, exercise, adequate sweating, vitamins, minerals, complimentary (or special) nutrients, as well as phytochemicals and making use of stress management techniques.
Here are the ‘Big 8’ for helping your body to ‘Detox’ naturally:
1. Water ~ that’s right the clear non-flavored stuff – drink plenty of clean water, at least eight to ten 8oz glasses of filtered water daily.
2. Move your bowels, at least once or twice a day. (If this has been difficult for you, consider taking two tablespoons of ground flax seeds daily and supplementing with acidophilus).
3. Get rid of the “white stuff.” Yes, this means white flour and white sugar.
4. Eat 8 to 10 wonderful servings of organic colorful fruits and vegetables every day (especially from the family of cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, collards, kale, cabbage, Brussels sprouts & kohlrabi. Don’t forget to also have plenty of garlic and onions, which help increase sulfur in your body which aids detoxification.)
5. Avoid stimulants, sedatives and drugs such as caffeine and nicotine and try to reduce alcohol intake.
6. Movement ~ Exercise 5 days a week (Focus on your cardiovascular system but, also get in some strengthening & stretching exercises.) It is vital that you sweat profusely to release toxins through your skin.
7. Take a high-quality multi-vitamin and mineral supplement.
8. Make it a point to get deeply relaxed every day to get your nervous system in a state of calm, rest and relaxation.
You’ll find green veggies are always at the top of the list for removing toxins. We at Vibrant Health have committed ourselves to helping you find ways to fit amazing nutritional value within your busy schedule. Field of Greens is a unique combination of 100% certified organic green veggies. A daily serving is a reliable way of infusing your body with a wide variety of vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients which will assist your body’s natural ability to remove those pesky toxins and waste.
About the author: Jeanne Ricks is a Holistic Health Coach & Clinical Hypnotist who provides personal diet, wellness & nutrition coaching combined with Hypnosis to help you achieve your personal best. www.NuDay.org